Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Economic Stimulus Fake Out

When we were promised the Economic Stimulus, all we were told was you would receive $600 dollars, if you are married you would receive $1,200, and for every dependent child you would receive $300 of course if you made less than X amount. That means Tim and I were meant to get $1,200. Sweet right? We could definitely use it!

Todd and Amy only got $600 and $300 for their kid, Tim and Charlotte only got $600, Aaron got $300, I don't think Billy and Ally have received anything and neither have Tim or I. When I was promised $1,200 and got NOTHING, I was pretty mad, so I decided to do some research. I found out that when they said you would get it in May, what they really meant was they will start sending them out in May, but it depends on the last two digits of your SSN when they mail it. Tim and I wont have ours mailed to us until June 20th. So maybe the end of this week or early next week we should get something. That makes me a little less upset.

Then the question comes up, why did people we know get less than promised and will that happen to us? So I went through the IRS's FAQ's. Here's what I found:

Q. I received my stimulus payment, but it was less than what my friends and neighbors received. Why?

A. Your economic stimulus payment is based on information provided on your 2007 income tax return.

Many but not all taxpayers qualify for the maximum basic payment of $600 for singles or $1,200 for married couples. Many parents are also receiving an additional $300 for each qualifying child, born after Dec. 31, 1990.

Your payment may be less than the maximum for one or more of the following reasons:

  • You are single and your net income tax liability is less than $600. If you file Form 1040 net income tax liability is the amount shown on Line 57, plus the amount on Line 52.
  • You are married and your net income tax liability is less than $1,200.
  • You are single and your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than $75,000. On Form 1040, AGI is the amount on Line 37.
  • You are married filing a joint return and your AGI is more than $150,000.
  • You owe back taxes that reduced your payment.
  • You have non-tax federal debts such as unpaid student loans or child-support obligations that reduced your payment.
These might help some people. I then found an Economic Stimulus calculator to figure out how much we should be getting shortly. It came up with $600. What happened to $1,200? I don't know what the net income tax liability is, but that probably has something to do with it. But Tim also has student loans that aren't federal. The calculator didn't ask about that so we might be getting even less.

We should find out by next week. I'll let you know, but it really bugs me. What happens to "if you're poor (a.k.a. make less than a certain amount) you WILL get $1,200??" Jerks.

4 comments:

Britt said...

Ya that is pretty messed up...Matt and I were really lucky because we got the full $1,200 and the last two of his social are 02 so we got our check probably over a month ago. Sadly we have already used alot of it for the Cali trip and credit card payments and misc. but ya I hope you get your check soon and it's the full amount. Crazy government! (but hey it is free money so you can't complain too much right?!)

Unknown said...

Oh naive young grasshoper. Nothing from the government is free, certainly not free money. Need I remind you get nothing? Actually... besides you and Tim, i don't know anyone who actually got money from that.

Amelia said...

A-freaking-men, sister! Now you know my pain! I guess we didn't get the whole amount because of student loans, but what's weird is that they are in Todd's name, not mine, so HE should have not gotten anything. But I guess that means that neither of us would have because I didn't work last year, so I wouldn't have qualified to receive anything. I guess I'll be grateful for my measly $300, that Todd was generous enough to share with me.

Still...

Ally Schulkins said...

The reason we haven't gotten ours yet (OR our federal tax return) is because Billy's dad put the wrong zip code on our taxes. 95111 instead of 93111
Yeah.
So we have a whole different problem. I think we're only getting $600 though. I knew all of this stuff before though. It's either 1200 or what you already didn't pay in taxes (or whatever), whichever is less.