Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Save the Drums!!!

I'm putting up this post for a good cause. I am not asking for any donations (although if you feel so inclined make them out to Timothy or Allison Thelin) all I need is a moment of your time and for you to please reply with your support. We could use all the help we can get!

My dad is talking about selling his drum set! When I say sell, I don't mean he's planning to upgrade either. We must do all that is possible to keep him from selling!

I may slaughter a bit of family history here, but for those who don't know, my dad used to play the drums when he was younger. I couldn't tell you how old he was for sure but I believe he started playing in the 3rd grade, maybe sooner. His mom dropped him off at the after school program and told him he could pick any instrument he wanted to play...except for the drums. Well of course he came home with the drums. In fourth grade I believe, he was playing in the high school marching band. In his teen years, again I don't know exactly when or for how long, he played with a band. And he wore shades. When his parents celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary one of my dads old band members was there and presented my grandpa with an award that my dads band had won back in the days. He gave it to my grandpa because my grandpa used to drive them around all the time to all of their gigs.

When I was about 10, maybe younger, my dad came home with a drum set. Up till that point, none of my siblings knew he had ever played the drums. None of us ever knew! Then to top it off, once he set up the drums, he was good. I remember that all of us were blown away.

He got together with several other lawyers and a judge and formed a band called the Bottom Dwellers. It comes from a lawyer joke you may or may not be familiar with. "What's the difference between a catfish and a Lawyer?" "One's a scum sucking bottom dweller and the others a fish." They got together for years and years and performed at get togethers and in a bar called Froggies. When they had band practice, every now and then they had parties and all the band members families were invited along with some friends. The guys usually had pools so us kids would play in there all day while listening to Soft Rock.

Here's a video from the Bottom Dwellers performing at the Public Defenders Christmas party back in 2005. The sound is a little off at some points because my mom is standing next to the speaker, but it's still cool to watch my dad play so well. You can even catch him smile.


A little while back the band stopped doing anything. Again, I don't remember why. Every now and then my dad talks about playing his drums again. I know that mom, Aaron, Danielle, and myself all agree that he should as I'm sure is true for the rest of my siblings. He is really talented at it and on top of that he always seemed to love it.

Last night my mom told me that dad was talking about selling his set. I promptly got on the phone with him to tell him that he can't sell them! After our conversation he seemed to feel he still could. He emailed my siblings requesting them to vote yes or no. He never posed a question so most of them had no idea what he was talking about, yet they started replying willy nilly, as was his intention.

Here's my argument for why he should keep his drums:

1) None of his children knew he played the drums even though they were such a big part of his life when he was growing up. Even when we found out he could play, we didn't grasp it that well until we actually saw him play and were amazed. How are his grandkids to know much about it if he sells them?

2) For me, my dad playing his drums was a big memory of growing up. I've always been proud of it, I loved sharing his practices with him, and I love watching him play. He should keep them if for nothing else as a memorabilia not only for himself, but his kids, and grandkids.

3) As far as grandkids go, I think it would be great for my kids (when it comes to that) and my siblings kids to wonder into the garage and stumble upon the drums. Then they could talk to their grandpa about it and share that memory with him too.

4) More than likely he'll regret it later if he sells them.

5) Not everyone can play the drums. This is a very unique leisure activity. Not only that, but he is good at it.

In the email my dad sent out he didn't say what the poll was about but he said the topic was not open to debate. Here I am opening it to debate. I need as many peoples input as possible. Maybe then we can get him from selling something so important to the family!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Allie it's Ashley, tell your dad that there's no need to sell his drum set, I'm siding with you and the rest of your family. He needs to keep it and start enjoying it again. Well it was nice to hear from you, I know its late but Happy Anniversary! I'm glad to hear from you!

Ally Schulkins said...

I've been thinking about selling my drums too. We could probably use the money for a new car or whatever, but it would mean saying goodbye to a talent that I had once and might be able to pick up again and make better. Plus, how cool would it be if I started playing again?

Anonymous said...

I just remember when Dad told me that he played, I was so excited I told everyone. I also remember letting my friends listen to him, of course keeping them downstairs so he would play longer. It was a ton of fun. There are also many advantages to him playing, Dad just feels better about himself and has a ton of fun doing it.
Danielle

Britt said...

I don't have the memories of Dad playing the drums like you do but I do remember the first time I came up to Big Bear (it was Oct. '05) and my friends and I (I had brought two friends with me) we saw the drums in the garage and thought they were awesome. We fooled around a little on them and then later that day we heard banging coming from the garage. it was Dad playing and it was good! As soon as he noticed we were listening though he hurried and stopped so that was sad but ya it was really neat! I definitly agree that Dad shouldn't sell his drums, they seem like a really neat memory for the family.

Unknown said...

What? No way your dad can sell his drum set. I veto that. You tell him I've decreed that he can't. Its way to cool that your dad can play them drums.

Doug and Mary said...

Ok ok
So he wants to sell the drums, Now is this really a issue, As old as that guy is can he still remember what he has to hold to bang on the drums with anyways, I can't believe he still has the hearing to hear whats he is playing, let alone the strength tobang them, I guess the hearing part is half good he can't tell what he sounds like.
But if you realy want an opinium i guess i would have to say he sholud make planters out of them, they were always so loud I could never here my hippie music over him banging away, But yes I did love going to my school concerts and dances and bragging Ya that long haired guy playing the drumws is my OLDER brother.
KEEP THEM DANNY

Anonymous said...

They're mine and I can do what I want.

Doug and Mary said...

Wow he still speaks, but when they get that old they alwasy don't really know what there saying.

Cpt. MAD Matt said...

Now Dad may believe he has the option to sell his drums but we all know better. I remember the stories grandma and grandpa told Aaron and I when we went on vacation back to Michigan the year of the big earthquake in Big Bear and showing us the picture of Dad, as a kid, in the marching band. Dad should not sell his drums!! If he tries I guess we will just need to start a collection and buy them from him and then store them at the house in Big Bear. Then he has absolutely no say in what to do with them.
Take Care Folks!!
Matt