Thursday, September 4, 2008

Quick Update...Uh, Long Update Rather...

I started school last week and am thoroughly enjoying it. I'm getting a good handle on my classes and think it should all go well. I do have an exam on Tuesday for a class that I'm sure is going to be my toughest, Psychology 310: Behavioral Disorders. Pretty much she rushed through the first three chapters. That means that's what the whole semester will be like. At least I get to drop one of the four exams I take, whichever I do the worst in. My other classes are all Rec and I'm learning a lot and getting to know a lot of people already (seeing how I've got a lot of the same people in a lot of my classes!)

Our printer stopped printing legibly about a week before school started and last Thursday my laptop increased in its faulty functioning. The big issue that it started up is that the screen will go black and flicker between that and gray and the actual screen, of course leaving me only guessing as to when I'd be able to get the real screen back. With these two problems in mind we decided to take my extra FAFSA grant and buy a new laptop and printer. I have a friend who's an animation major and bought a fancy printer about a year ago. Tim needs to print off nice color pages sometimes so we asked our friend Steve about his printer. His is still working great and we found lots of great reviews for it online. We also did some research into a new laptop for me. After deep consideration and a sorrowful heart, I bought a Macbook. I have found that as far as laptops go, they are consistently good whereas PC laptops are hit and miss. We went to the Apple Store on Saturday and bought my Mac book and received a free printer and iPod Touch (after the rebate comes back.) All in all, it was the absolute best deal we could find. The printer is great. It prints double sided which is really convenient when my Professors have me print off pages and pages of notes. The laptop also rocks and is pretty. I got the white one.

Next piece of news, I have a new used bike! It's a cruiser. I love it. Our friends Billy and Ally found someone selling it in Santa Barbara and did all the arrangements for it. All I had to do was drive up to SB and pick it up. It has helped with school SO much. It's pretty darn hot out here and the walk takes me about 20 minutes. Biking cuts that in half.

We made our own homemade alfredo sauce last night that was really yummy.

Target no longer sells shaved ice flavoring. It's out of season. I guess 95 degrees is not hot enough to make shaved ice. Instead we bought non-alcoholic mixers from Ralphs.

We spent all of Monday voluntarily reorganizing and cleaning our apartment. It was awesome to actually get so much that we have been avoiding done. Tim FINALLY has great access to his art desk and supplies meaning he can pick up on detailing his comics and perhaps sew every now and then.

Tim managed to evacuate a decent amount of people from our apartment building as well as summon the Fire Department on Monday. He was writing a blog about it on Monday after the fact but it somehow deleted as he was trying to post it. So I'll sum it up for you. He put the ribs out on the grill for 10 minutes in order to sear the outside of it then he was going to bring them back in and bake them in the oven. He decided to leave them out on the grill while he took care of somethings inside. In ten minutes he went back out and there was smoke coming from the grill, which is pretty normal. He open the lid and tons more smoke came out! The ribs were in flames! As he was blowing out the fire on the meat, more smoke ensued. Once he got the flames out, the building fire alarm went off. Our assumption is that someone who wasn't home had left their window open. The smoke went into their apartment and set off their alarm. Since it wasn't shut off in a timely manner, the entire building's alarm went off. I went to tell the building manager what it was so she could shut off the alarm. Guess what. She wasn't there! People started evacuating the building. Tim was putting the ribs in the apartment, and the Fire Department came. As Tim was justly worried about receiving a fine, I couldn't stop laughing.
"Tim started the fire!"

4 comments:

Britt said...

Too funny! Matt will get a kick out of that!

Ally Schulkins said...

This is an awesome post, and I am mentioned.

Sue said...

I laughed right out loud reading this. Thanks for writing...I love the details.

Julia Riber Pitt said...

You go to CSUN?