Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Passing the Baton

I have worked here, at Executive On The Go, Inc., for exactly three weeks today, as in completed three whole weeks here. Now, usually I wouldn't be counting, but really, I am hoping to find some way out of here. Nice people, close to home, good hours, good bus schedule, easy job, climate controled area, my own desk that has a big wall behind me so no one can see that I am blogging...Down side, my bosses are super super picky, so they approve things before I print it, but I usually get sent back at least 3 times...after they were preapprove 3 times...to fix something else. Also, during the interview they said there isn't enough work to keep me busy all day, and there isn't but they don't like when I'm not busy, even though they all say they don't have anything for me to do when I ask. Other downfalls, I have to wear Sunday dress to work, it's minimum wage, no benefits, I could care less about what this company does, theres a bunch of busines law mumbo jumbo that i don't understand/don't care to understand, working here gives me zero personal satisfaction, I make myself go to the bus stop, and make myself not call in with some sort of flu or bus accident or accidental contact with anthrax...Although it's really tempting...

Anyway, I've been thinking about calling this guy in our ward who has a ton of connections and maybe he could help me get a better job, but I'm just finishing up training here, I'd feel bad about ditching out on the company when they are just settling in with this too, and I'd like to finally have something steady because we moved in the beginning of February so it's about time. Tim said that now that he has a job (which, by the way, is way better than that last one and he loves it and it's amazing! I'm sooo much happier that he has this new job!) Since I worked after he quite his job, maybe it's time to pass the baton so he can work while I quite my job! (Don't worry, I'm not going to quit unless I have another one.)

A girl from my ward approached me Sunday and said she just graduated from CSUN with Rec Therapy. She was talking to me about helping me pick classes and professors, letting me borrow books that she still has, AND possibly hooking me up with a job for the summer! It's a kids camp for kids with disablities. She's going to be working there so she said she could drive me to the interview (because it is a little ways away) and then she would drive me there and back everyday. I think I might try it out, but again, I'm not sure. It's a job only for the summer, what about when summers over? Start the job hunt again (because yes I'm planning on going to school full time, but I want a part time job too.)

So pretty much to sum up this blog, do I keep this boring, but stable, job, or do I go for this summer job or talk to the other guy with the hook ups in order to get a better job? The only thing really keeping me here is a minute sense of loyalty and the wish to know what I'll be doing in 3 months and knowing which day I'll be getting paid an how much...

2 comments:

Ally Schulkins said...

the answer is yes, yes, and yes. keep your job (if you can) and still go to the interview and talk to that other guy. you'll probably end up something that does one or more of the following:
1. pays more. no need for explanation, that's always good.
2. is related to or will be a great experience and foot-in to a career after college
3. be a little bit more enjoyable
you can do it!!!
P.S. I hope that no one is protesting while you guys pass the torch...

Britt said...

That.s a toughie, I think sticking with the job but still looking is smart, ya it would be a bummer to leave a job you just started but it would be worse to be miserable all the time. I think the summer job would be very awesome! So much experience and thought it may not be fun to have to look for another job after the summer ends you might find a job now that doesn't work out and still have to look for a new job. Since Tim's job is going so well I say see what's out there and go from there...hope that makes sense, let us know what you do!